Institut für Energietechnik und Thermodynamik
> Zum Inhalt

The Hydrodynamic Laboratory

The planning and the building of the Hydrodynamic Laboratory took place between 1907 and 1910. Due to generous donations and funds the laboratory was one of the best equipped for those days.

To adapt it to the current standard of technology a complete renovation resulted in 1979. The available electric power was increased from 80 kW to 250 kW. A further expansion to 500 kW is possible.

At the moment the following test rigs are available:

Universal test rig for hydraulic machines:

The test rig is planed as both for pumps as for turbines in an closed circuit. The main elements are upper water and lower water tank, piping and valves, working area for model tests and the circuit pumps. The whole test rig needs an area of approximately 100 m2. The deepest point is approximately 4,5 m below and the highest approximately 3 m above the laboratory ground. A DC motorgenerator (Pmax= 100 kW; n= ± 0 ­ 3000 rpm) makes possible a 4-quadrant operation of the machine to be tested. The pressure range in the lower water tank of 0,04 to 6 bar (absolute) gives the opportunity to do cavitation tests. The concept of the test rig is in conformity with valid standards.

To top

Test rig for pelton turbines:

At this test rig the research of pelton turbines with a pitch diameter up to 500 mm by heads up to 260 m is possible. The DC-motorgenerator (Pmax = 87 kW, n = ± 0 ­ 3000 rpm) allows to deliver the electrical energy back to the electrical net of the laboratory;

To top